Lack of moisture in the environment can cause wrinkles and fine lines if you do not adjust your routine according to the weather. Dry skin can crack, flake, and itch. Keeping the same skin care routine all year may not work as effectively when the humidity drops.
Follow these tips in order to prevent and heal dry skin:
1. Stop baths that worsens dry skin
- Water temperature contributes to the dryness of your skin so make sure to set your water heater to warm instead of boiling hot.
- Use a gentle & fragrance-free cleanser
- Apply just enough cleanser, avoid using too much that you see a thick lather
- Gently pat your face dry with a soft towel, never scrub it
2. Moisturize your face immediately after cleansing
Creams, lotions & ointments work by trapping existing moisture in your skin, so make sure to moisturize within few minutes of drying off after washing your face or having a bath
3. Avoid using skin care products that contain the following ingredients:
- Alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA)
4. Look for moisturizers that contains one or more of the following ingredients:
- Jojoba oil
- Mineral oil
- Hyaluronic acid
- Lactic acid
5. Invest in a humidifier
Dry indoor air can parch sensitive skin and worsen itching and flaking. A portable air humidifier in your home can add moisture to the air around you.
When to see a dermatologist? If these steps do not relieve your dry skin or if it worsens. Professionals can help in developing a specific skin care plan based on your skin type and any skin problems you may have.