Toner is one of those products that many of us have in our cabinets, but you still might be asking yourself, what does toner do? Is it really necessary?
Here’s the scoop on toner, and why it’s really beneficial for some skin types.
What is Toner?
A toner is a skin care product, usually water-based, that’s meant to shrink the appearance of pores and further cleanse the skin, picking up any makeup or debris that may have been left behind.
Toners were originally designed to help restore skin’s pH balance, because old styles of cleansing (with soap bars and harsh cleansers) disrupted that balance, leaving skin more vulnerable to bacteria and other microorganisms. Many cleansers on the shelves now still alter the skin’s pH. Over time, disrupting pH could lead to inflammation, dryness, and accelerated aging.
If you wash your face with a balanced, organic cleanser, your toner might not need the pH-balancing properties of toners. The truth is that different toners have slightly different benefits (and some can actually be bad for skin). So it all depends on your skin type and the toner that you use.
Do I Still Need to Use Toner?
If you’re talking about the old-style, alcohol-based toners—no, you don’t want to continue using these, because they’re not good for your skin!
If you have acne-prone skin, you know what we’re talking about. Many tones targeted at reducing oil and breakouts use ingredients meant to disinfect the face and cut down on acne-causing bacteria. Alcohol is often the chosen ingredient here. While alcohol does kill bacteria, it also dries out the skin, which disrupts the outer layer and can lead to increased lines and wrinkles over time. Here’s more info on why alcohol and your skin don’t get along.
Others are basically glycerin and fragrance, and function more like perfume than skin care.
Fortunately, there are increasingly better options than these. The right toner has ingredients that create a number of benefits, giving you a quick and refreshing lift that helps repair, restore, and renew your skin. For all these reasons and more, we highly recommend you continue to make toning the second step in your skin care routine.
What Does Toner Do? Here are 7 Reasons to Use It
Choose your toner carefully, and you’ll have a hard-working product that will do the following:
1. Complete cleansing. This is still an important part of a toner’s job. You may cleanse well, but more than likely, there are still microorganisms left behind, as well as dust, pollution, and impurities. A toner helps sweep all that away, leaving pores clean and less noticeable, and protecting skin from long-term exposure to impurities that can cause problems down the road.
2. Shrink the appearance of pores. Most toners contain an astringent ingredient, which helps to shrink the appearance of pores, giving skin a smoother appearance. It’s important to be cautious in which one you choose, though. What you need is an ingredient that shrinks pores without drying.
3. Hydrates. Some toners contain hydrating ingredients, which are important immediately after cleansing to set the stage for moisturization. Your favorite moisturizer will penetrate skin much more effectively if it’s hydrated. If skin is dry and tight after cleansing, you will not get all the benefits from your moisturizer.
4. Tames inflammation. This is a fairly new application for toners, but an important one. We now know that inflammation plays a part in just about every skin problem—acne, aging, and damage. Toners that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients go to work calming skin down, which is the first step in improving appearance.
5. Fights acne. If you have acne prone skin, you do want a toner that is going to help you keep your skin clear. The trick is to use toners with ingredients that are naturally antibacterial, like rosemary or neem. These herbs can be steeped in water to create a sort of tea that acts as a natural toner.
6. Stimulates circulation. The skin is an organ, and needs blood just like the rest of the body for optimal function. The right toner has a stimulating effect, increasing circulation and giving your skin a lively, awake feel. Rosemary, mentioned about, is also a stimulating ingredient.
7. Protect. Your skin has to “face” a lot of assaults during the day, from the sun, environmental pollutants, stress, dietary changes, and other factors that can increase free radical damage. A quality toner will include antioxidants that help counteract these damaging assaults, giving skin what it needs to shield and repair itself.
Our toner solution for you
Alcohol Free Witch Hazel Toning Mist is Lavender and Rose Flower Power! It is a Natural Witch Hazel toner that will make your skin bloom. A naturally gentle skin toner derived from a time honored Native-American formula. Our unique blend includes calming Rose Water to help soften your skin and give it a naturally healthy glow mixed with natural lavender to protect the skin from impurities while removing toxins. Witch Hazel helps to tighten pores and to smooth and beautify skin without drying. Wildleaf Witch Hazel is 100% organic and alcohol-free. This could be the most amazing scent of toner you will ever have and its 100% natural!
You can use this toner as a natural deodorant too!